Do you feel like you need a quick infusion of cash to get you through your car accident recovery? If so, then you’re probably thinking about settling your personal injury case as quickly as possible. Before resolving your case, though, carefully analyze your set of circumstances to ensure that you’re getting as much as you can out of your claim. How do you go about doing that?
How to get the most out of your personal injury settlement
When you sit down to negotiate settlement, the defense is going to try to escape with paying you as little as possible. To hold their feet to the fire and maximize your recovery, be sure to do the following:
- Have a firm understanding of your damages by calculating incurred and anticipated medical expenses and rehabilitation costs, lost wages, and noneconomic damages like loss of enjoyment of life and pain and suffering.
- Know your case’s weaknesses so that you have a realistic perspective on the risks associated with taking your case to trial.
- Gather all evidence to support your case so that you can discuss and present it at your settlement negotiations.
- Keep a journal that details the daily impact your injuries have had on your life.
- Refrain from posting on social media so that you don’t give the defense evidence to attack you and your injuries.
Don’t lose out on your personal injury case
Ultimately, the decision to settle your case is up to you. However, you probably shouldn’t jump on an initial settlement offer, as it’s likely far less than your claim is worth. So, before heading into your settlement negotiations, have a solid strategy ready to deploy. That way you increase your chances of recovering the compensation you need and deserve.