Personalized Attention And Powerful Legal Counsel

These mistakes can jeopardize your workers’ compensation claim

On Behalf of | Jan 22, 2024 | WORKERS' COMPENSATION - Workers' Compensation

After being injured on the job, you need compensation to offset your losses. The workers’ compensation system seems to promise help, but that isn’t always the case. In fact, many workers’ compensation claims are denied. Sometimes there simply isn’t enough evidence to support the award of benefits, but in other instances claimants make errors that cost them the support that they need. You don’t want to make any of those mistakes.

What mistakes can harm your workers’ compensation claim?

There are a lot of mistakes that can be made when pursuing workers’ compensation benefits. This includes the following:

  • Not reporting your injury to your employer in a timely fashion.
  • Not documenting how the workplace accident played out.
  • Foregoing initial medical care.
  • Failing to follow your doctor’s recommendations for follow up care.
  • Lying about or exaggerating your injuries.
  • Downplaying the severity of your harm.
  • Posting on social media in a way that minimizes your injuries.
  • Making statements to the insurance company that portray you as being at fault for the accident.
  • Neglecting to address your pre-existing conditions and not differentiating them from your newfound symptoms.
  • Failing to keep a record of all incurred expenses.
  • Not cooperating with an independent medical examination.

There are other mistakes that you can make, so be careful as you navigate your claim.

Take care in building your workers’ compensation case

Workers’ compensation benefits can give you the support you need to focus on your recovery, get back on your feet, and return to work. But these benefits aren’t automatically given. You’ll have to diligently work to recover them.

So, now is the time to start gaining a better understanding of the claims process and what you can do to position yourself for success. If you have questions about how to do that, then please consult with your attorney.